Sunday, October 29, 2006

Passions other than Twizzlers...


...or Starbucks - I just came to the startling realization that I use one-third of a pound of Starbucks to make one large-ish cup of coffee for me. I like it *strong* but I also drink decaf so I'm a wimp with little muscles, I guess.

Anyway... a passion for me, and it has been for some time, is old photos. There is something so wonderful about them. So sad as well because certainly all these little people are dead now (but I don't dwell on that). Sad also, because they were lost. But then happy, because I found them. All the while I'm Photoshopping them...

Oh! Another passion... Photoshop.

...I feel as though I am giving them a new life. What a remarkable adventure these photos provide. And the excitement doesn't stop with me. It goes on with the wonderful artists who buy my collage sheets and take those images and spin wonderful stories with them.

Other passions for me are photography, and travel and thinking.

I think, probably, 50 or 60 times a day. Maybe more. Probably more than a third of a pound's worth. I wish that thinking was a commodity that you could turn in at the end of the day. "I've thought 53 times today". "Good job, here's $53,000". Probably not so improbable if the brains that are doing the thinking are Bill Gates or that Google guy. Or those two kids that thought up YouTube and sold it to the Google guy for $1.65 BILLION. No WAY do those two kids do more thinking than me.

I have so many passions and as I look around this disaster that I call a studio I can see the piles of antique books and papers, the shelves of magazines, art bits strewn hither and yon, unfinished canvases hanging on the wall as a laughing reminder that I'm not really an artist. My computer, my left hand, my window to the world. My left hand isn't lying on the floor - My computer IS my left hand.

It is indeed, quite chaotic to have so many passions. But I couldn't imagine living any other way. At the very least I have a lot of good stuff. At the very most, life is a joy worth waking up to everyday.

I will, eventually, get to the story about how my Auntie Coe made me deathly afraid of birds but I have a pot of chili waiting to be made and a hungry husband waiting to eat it.

Another passion... *My* chili and Doritos!

4 comments:

Izabella Blue said...

yay! you're writing here again! :)

Rella said...

I can't wait to hear about Auntie...and I will be checking in soon. Love that you are writing again...you really are quite talented with the word. You capture the reader quiet easily!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful work! I also use Photoshop but your coloring is waay beyond what I've been able to do so far. Much more to learn.

Sally L. Smith said...

You must have been in my studio the day you wrote this! Exactly, to a T. Thanks for your comment on my blog about the domino necklace. I appreciate that--your photo makes it.
Sally